Thursday, April 12, 2012

the great sphinx










This past Easter Sunday I spent a large chunk of my late afternoon watching the Masters. When this was over- “the Ten Commandments” came on TBS (this is basically the only channel I get besides the typical NY1 and THIRTEEN which I watch often and have to say I LOVE- big dork. big, big, dork). Now, I am not an extremely religious person and certainly not going to preach- this post has nothing to do with religion but everything to do with jewelry!!! I love old movies and think a lot of what we wear today was inspired by this past century.  That being said, this movie was released in 1956 and based in biblical times.  Edith Head, the costume designer of this epic film was also responsible for costumes in many other famous productions I’m sure you are familiar with such as To Catch a Thief, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, and All About Eve. Head’s career spanned over 50 years and her focus on accessories and silhouette still influence designers today.  Edith also developed to concept of “call boards” which were used to visualize characters appearing together in a scene to make sure their costumes were harmonious and there was not too much duplication with color and silhouette.

Now- don’t get me wrong. I am not recommending you watch the movie.  Its kind of boring and reallllly long with a run-time of 330 minutes- a whopping 5.5 hours! (yes, I had to use a calculator)- I personally could only stand it for about 2hrs.  All you need to know is that the royal characters are constantly dripping in jewels- huge collar necklaces, arm cuffs and intricate head gear are among some of the silhouettes you can find in the film. I mean, look at the pictures- gaudy you think?  Head used an excess of shiny gold metal and opaque stones to create this Egyptian themed look.   Sadly enough, I had a really hard time finding images of the jewels details.  However, keep your eyes peeled for more of this Egyptian/Tribal theme for Spring/Summer. My gut is telling me we may see more of it J

Above information provided by WCFTR
The below photos were taken from Laura’s Miscellaneous Musings






Have an awesome day.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment and your support. Keep reading!